Pages

All information provided is purely the opinion of the author and should not be considered medical advice.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

OOPS at 8 days TPLO Post Op

Well, last night I almost made it to the "promised land"  - the master bedroom. I woke mom up from a sound sleep at 11:45pm with my serious, I mean business bark. I had to go #2! After this we came inside I got some water and noticed the gate to the stairs was OPEN! Woo Hoo!! I headed up the 6 stairs, which are wood so mom heard me real good. I did not know the old lady could move so fast!!  I had just turned the corner and had my eyes on the next set of stairs which would take me to the bedroom, when mom got me by the collar. Oh, so close!!

Well she woke up dad for help and got the sling. He sounded a bit groggy and I hoped he would not topple  down the stairs! Dad had the sling end, mom my collar and they made me go back downstairs without using my back leg. I was  a bit confused at first, but we all made it back down in one piece. I heard mom tell dad, that it looked like I was not limping and that I was walking as before, so maybe all was ok.  I am not sure what all the fuss is about, I just know I almost made it out of this room!

Unfortunately the sprint up the stairs woke mom up real well, and when she put me back in the crate she did remember that darn e-collar. I heard her tell  me only 5 more nights of the cone. That sounds pretty good, but I am too short to see the calendar.

Note: from mom - In dog years, Maddie is the old lady!!
I have been reading posts on the yahoo group orthodogs and it seems oops do happen and since she is walking ok, probably not a big deal. I had just been hoping our first oops would be farther along in her recover than 8 days post op!!  Her incision/staples continue to look good and I have scheduled them to be removed on May 24. We ALL will be happy to put the e-collar back in the closet!

For what ever reason dad and I were SOUND asleep when Maddie felt the need. When I called for help, dad was so sound asleep he thought it was morning and I needed help with feeding her. He started to get dressed for the day and saw the clock and thought what???

That is the update for now.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Hopefully nothing serious, it happens and the fact you are limping is a good thing!!!! Maybe mom was so wide awake she decided to do stitching ;-)????

gracie said...

Maddie, you must be patient! Ms Zoe is sending you sniffs...